Tuesday, May 20, 2014

THM Part 4 - My Favorite Recipes: Baked MIM

It comes EVERY morning; breakfast.  And there's no time to prepare for it, because before breakfast... I'm sleeping.  So we wake up and it's go time.  How can I get Erin's bottle started, food on a plate for Audrey, and something started for myself all at once.  And please, can someone get some coffee going!  I need quick solutions.  And preferably foods that we all like.  Well, after months of trying different muffins (MIMs, Basic Baking Mix, and Baked MIMs), I discovered that there is 1 recipe I like best.  It's adapted from another THM on facebook and it's Baked Versions of MIM.

Now the original recipe had about 4-5 different flavor options.  But the Blueberry, Mixed Berry, and Lemon Poppyseed taste the best in my opinion.  I've also tweaked the recipe to my taste buds.  Feel free to adjust them to your own as needed.  AND the original recipe only made 4 muffins at a time.  But you guys know I'm more efficient than that.  So, I did the math, made some adjustments, and now it makes a dozen muffins.  I make 2 dozen at a time, let them cool, then put the muffins in gallon size freezer bags.

Poof, your on plan muffin is now available in 60 seconds.  AND, these babies will keep you full for hours. 

If you provided me with your email address previously, then you have this and other recipes in your inbox right now.  If you WANT me to send you this and my other 4 staple recipes, please leave your email address in a comment and I'll get it to you.




Baked "Muffin in a Mug" (S)

Because I discovered that I really, REALLY like the MIM better baked, I took some time to bake ahead so I could freeze a variety and pull them out when needed (especially those times I am headed out the door and need a quick take-a-long snack/meal). Here's my basic recipe - tweaked the way I like it.  I tried multiple versions, but found that Blueberry and Lemon Poppyseed always tasted the best.  So now that’s all I make.

Basic Recipe – Makes 12 Muffins

3/4 C. Almond flour
1/3 C. Coconut flour
1/3 C. Oat fiber
1/3 C. Golden flax
Heaping 1/4 C. Truvia
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 tsp. Salt

1/4 C. Coconut oil (melted)
3 eggs
1 C. Almond Milk


Blueberry or Mixed Berry – Add Frozen Berries and 3 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Lemon Poppyseed – Add 3 tsp Lemon Extract and 2 tsp Poppyseeds

Mix all ingredients well in a bowl, stirring in enough of the almond milk to make a thick batter. Adjust the Almond Milk as needed to make a thick but moist batter.  Spoon into 12 greased muffin tins or muffin liners (with a light spray of pam) and bake at 400* for about 18-25 minutes until lightly brown on top.  There is very minor rise to the muffins, so fill the pan generously.  I like to sprinkle Truvia on top of the muffins for a sweet muffin top.

Other flavors recommended by THM women.
Italian cream - add in shredded coconut and chopped pecans
pumpkin maple - cut down on the almond milk and add in apx 1/3c pumpkin puree and 2 tsp. of maple flavoring
mocha - substitute strong coffee for the almond milk and add cocoa powder

Sometimes we eat the muffins with Cream Cheese.  But plain is also delicious.
I make 1 dozen of each flavor at a time.  It’s easy since most of your ingredients are identical.

1 comment: