Sunday, June 29, 2014

THM Breakfast - Mitchell Style

So what does it look like to eat the Trim Healthy Mama way?  What is an (S) or (E) Breakfast?  Well here's what ours look like.  Please post your breakfast ideas in the comments. I'm sure someone wants fruit... mine don't have fruit.

BREAKFAST

We eat Eggs with Cheese OR Eggs and Sausage probably 4 days a week.  I LOVE having an (S) breakfast because it fills me up so nicely and just seems to start my day right.  It's also quick and easy if you microwave your scrambled eggs (stirring frequently) and have some "Brown and Serve" Sausage available.  I can have breakfast on the table in under 10 minutes.  I put a little bit of coconut oil, water, and salt in my eggs and they are so good with some cheese on top.  Great (S) breakfast.

Other days, I eat the Quaker Weight Control Instant Oatmeal.  Technically, this is not on plan, but it is close enough for me.  I use Almond Milk and call it an (E).

The last frequent breakfast item is the Baked Version of a Muffin in a Mug (MIM).  It is NOT handy to get out 9 ingredients to make myself 1 muffin in the mornings.  I would MUCH rather bake a large batch in advance.  So here's the recipe I follow.


Baked "Muffin in a Mug" (S)

Because I discovered that I really, REALLY like the MIM better baked, I took some time to bake ahead so I could freeze a variety and pull them out when needed (especially those times I am headed out the door and need a quick take-a-long snack/meal). Here's my basic recipe - tweaked the way I like it.  I tried multiple versions, but found that Blueberry and Lemon Poppyseed always tasted the best.  So now that’s all I make.

Basic Recipe – Makes 12 Muffins

3/4 C. Almond flour
1/3 C. Coconut flour
1/3 C. Oat fiber
1/3 C. Golden flax
Heaping 1/4 C. Truvia
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 tsp. Salt

1/4 C. Coconut oil (melted)
3 eggs
1 C. Almond Milk

Blueberry or Mixed Berry – Add Frozen Berries and 3 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Lemon Poppyseed – Add 3 tsp Lemon Extract and 2 tsp Poppyseeds

Mix all ingredients well in a bowl, stirring in enough of the almond milk to make a thick batter. Adjust the Almond Milk as needed to make a thick but moist batter.  Spoon into 12 greased muffin tins or muffin liners (with a light spray of pam) and bake at 400* for about 18-25 minutes until lightly brown on top.  There is very minor rise to the muffins, so fill the pan generously.  I like to sprinkle Truvia on top of the muffins for a sweet muffin top.

Other flavors recommended by THM women.
Italian cream - add in shredded coconut and chopped pecans
pumpkin maple - cut down on the almond milk and add in apx 1/3c pumpkin puree and 2 tsp. of maple flavoring
mocha - substitute strong coffee for the almond milk and add cocoa powder

Sometimes we eat the muffins with Cream Cheese.  But plain is also delicious.
I make 1 dozen of each flavor at a time.  It’s easy since most of your ingredients are identical



Special Breakfast Foods:

There is a recipe for pancakes in the THM book, however it uses Cottage Cheese as the main ingredient.  Since I am allergic to dairy, I had to find another THM friendly recipe to use.  I run into that A LOT since Cream Cheese, Low Fat Cottage Cheese, and 0% Greek Yogurt are all on plan.  And quite frankly, I don't have a good substitute for those.  So I just have to skip those recipes and find other options.

Here's my recipe for Pumpkin Pancakes (E).  The whole family loves this.  I blend the oats in my Ninja first, then add all the other ingredients on top.  Blend one more time and your batter is ready to pour on the griddle.  These are very filling and very healthy.  Use some Sugar Free Syrup to top them off (the girls use lite syrup) and these are a great Saturday morning breakfast or "Breakfast for Dinner."  And the leftovers are easy to warm up on rushed mornings.





 And Finally the Low Carb German Pancake from Gwen's Nest
There is a printable version of this recipe at the bottom of her blog.
This recipe is a little more complex, so it's definitely in the "Breakfast for Dinner" category.  But it was DELICIOUS.  Since I use regular Almond Milk instead of the Unsweetened, my version was probably a Crossover and not an (S).  But that's okay, because it's much better than the French Toast Bake I was making!  This will be our Christmas Breakfast... it's that good.  You could always make this the night before and have leftovers for breakfast again.  Yummy!!!

Hope that helps with your THM Breakfasts.  I'll do another post for Lunch, Snacks, and Dinner Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment